Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Optimum Health

For almost 2 years I've worked for a little company called Bookbyte.com. Although I can't say I've worked at a lot of different places, but Bookbyte's company culture seems quite unique. The owner is set to make a difference in peoples life through his company. One really unique thing they do is a health program called Optimum Health. This voluntary program is a fun way to help his employees set and reach personal goals in their lives. They don't all have to do with physical health but maybe things like save a certain amount of money in a set timeframe or spend more time with friends and family and less time stressing over work. At the beginning of the program participants choose and set their goals. This time around their will be quarterly goals and 1 big goal that must be met by the beginning of 2011. In theory the quarterly goals help and prepare you for the big goal. Oh and there are prizes involved. Cash prizes! Needless to say almost the whole company participates. We're then set into smaller little groups to help and encourage each other.

There are lots of areas in my life that could use this extra attention. I drink a little too much coffee and not enough water. My muscles are nonexistent and my arms resemble noodles. Spiritually, I'd like to spend more time in the Word and in prayer. I thought about it for a long time. I wasn't sure what I wanted to focus on.

Just last year I started seriously running for the first time. Did a few competitive runs and relays. I really enjoyed it and have appreciated the addition to my life. I decided that I'd base my goals on running. It's something that I know I can improve and that I enjoy working on. Also some of my favorite people run so I thought that'd be great.

So my BIG Optimum Health goal for 2010 is:
  1. Run a total of 450 miles
  2. Run in 4 competitive runs that are at least 10K in distance
I'm excited about these goals and improving my running ability. I think they will be a struggle, but also attainable.

At the finish line of my first half-marathon July 2009

So my last thought is this, what about setting a goal or 2 for yourself this year? Not necessarily a 'new years resolution' but a goal. Something that you're passionate about and would like to improve. It could be as simple as using reusable shopping bags and as big as running your first marathon. I encourage you think about it and then bring someone along with you on your journey.

Blessings, Cathy

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Giving me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete